Solved: Disable Restarts in the middle of the work for Windows Update
One word - annoying. Windows update wants to restart to finish the updates... and it will!
Super weird move by Microsoft to allow such a behaviour. One of my customers are a dental clinic and imagine, while working on a patient and having their patient data open in the computer, the computer restarts in the middle of the operation.
So, how to solve automatic update restarts problem in Windows?
There are 2 ways, one for Home Edition users (modifying the registry) and other for Professional or higher level users (modifying policy).
Windows 7 Home series users Windows automatic restarts solution:
1. Open the Registry Editor (Windows Key + R or Start -> Run and type "regedit.exe")
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
Chances are, you'll be missing the following keys, if you are using a Home version.
If keys WindowsUpdate\AU exist, go ahead to step 3!
OTHERWISE, continue like this.
2.a. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Make sure the key is highlighted and go to the edit menu and choose New > Key
2.b. Name the key WindowsUpdate
Now, repeat the same way, except highlight the newly created WindowsUpdate and name the next key in it AU
3. With WindowsUpdate\AU highlighted, create a new 32-bit DWORD calledNoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
Right click on your newly created value and give it a value data of 1 (hexadecimal)
Double check all the steps & restart the computer.
Windows 7 Professional series and higher users update automatic restarts solution:
1. Click Start -> Run
2. Enter “gpedit.msc”
3. Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
4. Double-click on “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation”
5. Enable it! This will turn the auto-restart feature off.
6. Reboot the computer and enjoy.
Right click and View image (in new tab) to see larger image.